Vacancy Announcement Date: 13th March 2023
The Desert Locust Control Organization for Eastern Africa (DLCO-EA) is a Regional Organization established in 1962 by an International Convention signed by the Governments of Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda. Our mandate is to control Migratory Pests and Vectors in the Region namely; Desert locusts, Quelea birds, Armyworms and Tsetse flies.
The Organization invites applications to fill the following positions. The applicants must be nationals of the contracting Member States.
APPLICATIONS FOR THIS ROLE ARE CLOSED
|Terms of Appointment:
|3 years Contract (Renewable)
The Base Manager is the Director’s Resident Representative in the country in which the Base is located. He/she is responsible for the overall management and coordination for DLCO-EA activities within the member country.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities
- Responsible for effective Personnel and Assets Management for the smooth running of the Country Reserve Base.
- Executes the approved programme of work in the member country as per approved annual budget.
- Ensures and confirms adequacy of technical preparation for aerial operations prior to Aircraft deployment.
- Brief operational personnel prior to commencement of aerial and ground operations.
- Follows up and submits reports on the progress of the survey and control operations and carries out critical assessment of the results.
- Provides the required support to the research activities and programmes assigned to the Base.
- Submits to the Director regular reports of the Operational Progress, Pest Situation, and Meteorological Data.
- Prepares annual budgetary estimates for the Base
- Submits to the Headquarters Monthly progress and financial reports and other periodic returns.
- Maintains effective liaison with the relevant Ministries and Institutions for the achievement of the DLCO-EA objectives and follows up collection of annual contributions.
- Handles licensing and insurance of motor vehicles, maintains insurance register of assets and ensures that all policies are current.
- In consultation with the Director, acts as a Public Relations Officer for the Organization in the member country.
- In consultation with the Director, participate in resource mobilization through Project Concept Papers/Proposals preparation for submission to local, regional and International Development Partners.
- He/she is the delegated accounting Officer for the Base.
- Implements any other tasks assigned to him by the Director
Salary and Benefits
Salary and benefits package according to the Organization’ salary structure as per Service Regulations. Benefits include: housing allowance, cost of living allowance; education allowance for 4 children, home leave travel, annual leave of 36 working days, indemnity fund entitlements (10% of salary) and health insurance.
A Master’s Degree in Agricultural Sciences from a recognized University or Institution.
- At least five (5) years of post-qualification experience in Plant Protection work that includes technical and administrative supervision of Migratory Pest Survey and Control.
- Administrative and financial management experience is required.
- Experience in resource mobilization and management is an added advantage
- Ability to work in harmony with people of different national and cultural backgrounds is highly desirable.
- Age 40-55 years.
How to Apply:
To apply, visit our website www.dlco-ea.org/careers/ and download the Application Form. Interested applicants should submit the filled application form together with a cover letter, detailed CV, copies of Certificates and Testimonials and submit electronically to the emails addresses provided below within 30 days after the publication of the Advert.
Email to: email@example.com,